Licence - Caravan and tent sites


Caravan and Camping Site Licencegives service providers and entrepreneurs from the EU and EEA the information and support they need to set up or do business in other EU or EEA markets And Relevant Protected Sites

Licence Summary

To run a caravan and camping site you need a licence from the local authority.

The introduction of the Mobile Homes Act 2013 has amended the legislation so that permanent residential mobile homes sites are now known as 'relevant protected sites' and from 1st April 2014 subject to licensing and annual inspections for which a fee is payable. The Council has agreed a fees policy and fees have been set in accordance with it. The fees policy can be found here.

Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • to ensure steps are taken enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls
  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained

Eligibility Criteria

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site.

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

Regulation Summary

 A summary of the regulations relating to this licence and The Mobile Homes Act 2013 is available here.


Use the link below to view the list of current licensed sites:

Caravan and Tent Site Register

License Conditions

Use the links below to view the licensing conditions:

Standard Conditions for Holiday Caravan Site

Standard Conditions for Permanent Residential Mobile Home

Standard Conditions for Single Residential Caravan Site

Standard Conditions for Tent Sites

Standard Conditions for Touring Caravan Site


      All    Up to 10 Units11 to 30 Units31 to 50Over 51 Units
Existing Residential Mobile Home Site Up Until 31st October 2014  £106    
Application Fee after 31st October 2014   N/A      196.63     241.61 265.16     287.95
Annual Inspection Fee   N/A      126.63     171.63 195.16     217.95
Deposit of Site Rules   £50        N/A        N/A    N/A       N/A
Change of Site Rules   £35        N/A        N/A    N/A       N/A
Transfer of a Site Licence   £48        N/A        N/A    N/A       N/A
Application to Change Site Licence Conditions   £129        N/A        N/A    N/A       N/A

Application Evaluation Process

Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose area the land is situated.

Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 28 days.

Apply Online Apply online

Apply to run a caravan site or camp site

Tell us about a change to your existing caravan or camp site

Apply by Post Apply by post

If you want to apply for a licence by post download the

Application form for a caravan licence

Application form for a licence for a tent camping site

and send it to us.

Failed Application Redress

You are advised to take up any issue with the local authority first.

If a licence holder is refused an application to alter a condition they may appeal to the local Magistrates' court . The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the refusal and a notice of appeal must be served on the local district council.

Licence Holder Redress

You are advised to take up any issue with the local authority first.

If a licence holder wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence they may appeal to the local Magistrates' Court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the licence being issued.

The local district council may alter conditions at any time but must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If a licence holder disagrees with the alterations they may appeal to the local Magistrates' court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served on the local district council.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre .

Other Redress

Should you have a complaint about noise, pollution, etc please contact us.

Trade Associations

British Holiday & Home Parks Association (BH&HPA)

British Resorts and Destinations Association

Caravan Industry Training (CITO)

Federation of Tour Operators (FTO)

Group Travel Organisers Association (GTOA)

Hotel Marketing Association

National Caravan Council (NCC)

Contact Us

Licensing Team
Council Offices
High Street
GL16 8HG

Tel: 01594 812445
Fax: 01594 812590